Resources for Families
Information and Support for Families Challenged With Crying or Fussy Babies
Children’s Integrated Services (CIS)
Dial 2-1-1 from anywhere in VT. Toll-free. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Callers should say they are calling about Children’s Integrated Services, since Vermont 211 call specialists also help Vermonters with many other resources. The call specialist will connect callers with the local CIS team coordinator.
- Resources for pregnant and postpartum women, families and children
- Expertise in social work & family support; maternal/child health & nursing; child development & early intervention, early childhood & family mental health and other specialties
- Answers to questions and concerns of pregnant and postpartum women and families about:conditions or risk situations that may impact a baby’s health or safety during pregnancy and postpartum
- providing a stable, healthy environment for children
- possible developmental delay or condition in a child
- Help to develop action plans for children and families under stress
- Referrals and help through transitions to other community resources
- Confidential, information callers give about themselves or their family won’t be shared with others without consent
Dial 2-1-1 from anywhere in VT. Toll-free. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Help finding other resources that can help with the many needs, and stresses families experience
- Access to community resources through information and referral
- Telephone and online personal assistance using a searchable database of services.
- Live translation services.
- Ability to transfer emergency calls to 9-1-1.
Prevent Child Abuse-Vermont, Shaken Baby Syndrome Prevention Program
1-802-229-5724 (Kay Shangraw, RN, Program Manager/Trainer)
Free Prevention trainings and information for:
- groups or persons interested in preventing abusive head trauma or with increased risk of committing abusive head trauma
- Phone call consult with parent or caregivers regarding resources available to them and help locating appropriate prevention trainings in their area.
Parent Stress Line ( Prevent Child Abuse-VT)
1-800-CHILDREN or 802-229-5724.
Available Monday-Friday 9AM-5PM
National Child Abuse Hotline
1-(800) 4-A-CHILD or (800) 422-4453. Toll free. Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Crisis intervention, information, literature, and referrals to emergency, social service, and support resources
- Staffed by professional crisis counselors.
- Interpreters for 140 languages
The Happiest Baby on the Block
Website of Dr. Harvey Karp, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, UCLA School of Medicine, child development specialist.
- Resources on parent strategies for soothing colic, boosting infant sleep, promoting parent patience
- Provides families with information and advice about a wide range of physical, emotional, and behavioral issues that affect children and teens. All content goes through a rigorous medical review by pediatricians and other medical experts.
Example of KidsHealth resource: Your Colicky Baby
The Shaken Baby Alliance
The National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome
- Resources, conference information, speaker listings, prevention programs and materials. Located in Ogden, Utah