Stress Management Tips
A baby brings an unlimited amount of love, joy and happiness into your life. Unfortunately, a baby can also bring a lot of stress! Even the most patient parents can feel stress when caring for an infant who needs constant attention and care! If you feel your stress level increasing, here are some ways to cope:
- WALK AWAY. Put the baby in a safe place, like a crib, and leave the room. It’s okay to let the baby cry!
- MOVE YOUR BODY. Regular exercise releases endorphins, a chemical in the brain that can improve your mood and make you feel less stressed!
- BREATHE DEEPLY. Taking slow, deep breaths can help slow your heart rate and reduce tension.
- MAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF! A baby requires a lot of attention, but in order to keep your stress levels low, you need attention too! Set aside time each week to do an activity that is just for you. Watch a movie; go fishing; listen to music; take a class. Whatever you enjoy, do it!
- SMILE. Sounds silly, but studies show that smiling and laughing actually makes you feel better!
- CALL A FRIEND. Calling a friend allows you to vent when you are frustrated.
- ASK FOR HELP. Just ask. Friends, neighbors, relatives and professionals are a great help when things get tough. Make a list of people you can reach out to if you need a break and put it in a place where you can see it every day, such as on the refrigerator door, next to the phone, etc.
- KEEP A JOURNAL. A journal can help you express your thoughts privately and get things off your chest.