10 Ways to Soothe a Crying Baby
- Meet the baby’s basic needs: Is the baby hungry, need a diaper change, or be burped? Is the baby too hot or too cold? Check the clothing for comfort.
- Is the baby sick? Check the baby’s temperature. Is it 100.5° or over? Is there vomiting or diarrhea? If so, call your doctor.
- Hold the baby close and gently massage.
- Rock, walk or dance with your baby, or try a swing or bouncy chair.
- Sing and or talk to your baby.
- Hold baby and breathe slowly and calmly. The baby may feel your calmness and become quiet.
- Lower any surrounding noise or lights
- Walk the baby outside in a stroller or take a ride in the car.
- Call a friend or relative you can trust to take care of the baby.
- When nothing else works, put the baby down in a safe secure place such as a crib, give yourself a break and leave the room. Check on the baby every 5-10 minutes.
No baby has ever died from crying.